Saturday, January 12, 2019

HOW TO LESSEN THE DOWNSIDE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Here's how you can lessen the downside of social media.

We spend an average of four hours doing facebook. I have to admit sometimes I consume more than four hours of my spare time checking my newsfeed. One time, a close friend of mine asked how a common friend of ours is doing. To her surprised I answered I have no idea. Yes! I have more than 2000 virtual friends but I follow only a few. Contrary to the belief of many, I don't use social media to meddle into other people's affairs or worse to know how fast I'm running the race in comparison to somebody else's speed. 

Social media at its worst can go too far in threatening your mental health. Studies show that people who use social media more than the advisable length of time have the tendency to be more depressed, anxious and sad.

I used to tremble at the idea that many people of my age are already starting to settle down, to be putting up their own businesses, to have realized their Eurotrip dream. It took me quite some time to realize that nobody's life is exactly as perfect as their instagram stories. If you haven't been convinced of that fact yet, then facebook is not for you. Do you need a lot of convincing? Try avoiding keeping tabs of toxic people and tell me later on how peaceful your life had become.

As for me, Facebook has been a handy book I can read wherever I go. It's a compilation of motivational ebooks, news, and a biography of successful people I wanted to emulate. 

Forgive me but facebook is just too much to give up. It has been an avenue for me to educate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment