Saturday, January 12, 2019

IF YOU HAVE THE GIFT OF BEING ABLE TO INFLUENCE PEOPLE, USE IT WELL!

I just couldn't get enough of what happened yesterday. We had our Christmas Party and we first had a mass before the festive part. The first thing that the Priest asked my boss upon entering their humble abode was "What is your course and where did you study college?" I didn't put much color to the question but I was struck when before he started his homily he said, "Go to a big school because the training will matter. If you are going to look at, most people who are successful came from big schools." He told us he graduated from UST and had his review at UP. I have lost count of how many times he put emphasis on where he graduated from. But it was when he asked the son of my Boss where he is studying did I almost reacted violently. He said,"Good. That is a very expensive school. There are only two expensive schools in Ormoc, SPC and Saint Paul's." He told us he owns three school, but I wonder what kind of Education his students are getting given what I heard.

I was itching to talk to him before he will leave, but I didn't had the chance. I would have told him, "Even if I wasn't able to read the bible cover to cover, I learned from my Religious Education Class in College that Jesus was once a Rabbi. He taught in dilapidated buildings or even under the trees. I fear it would come to a point that you'd only let people who belong to the upper class to hear the mass and single out all the rest. You are a servant of God, live up to His teachings."

Yes! Education is an investment. But  while there are some who can afford to go to expensive schools, many are not as lucky. It's not their fault and it's totally heedless to condemn them for that.

Let us eliminate the social stigma of determining the amount of respect one should get based on his educational attainment.

It's not bad to be proud of where you came from but let it not reach the point that you become arrogant. People, don't let your schooling affect your education.

I have always dreamt of going to renowned schools, but if this is the kind of person I become at the end of the process, God, what a horror it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment